Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Preservation Foundation

In the 1980s and 1990s, the Historic Landmarks Commission had a not-for-profit affiliate.  The Commission voted to separate it from the Commission with the expectation that the agency could become a strong private voice for preservation and continue to perform projects.  It changed its name to Historic Charlotte.  

The Foundation was most effective.  In addition to restoring Streetcar 85, it made a major contribution to the revitalization of Historic North Charlotte, now known as NODA.  Because it could provide tax deductibility, it received the Hand Pharmacy as a gift. The building was subsequently sold and is now a very successful restaurant.  The Foundation also acquired two mill houses at a very reduced price and restored them.  All are protected by preservation deed covenants.

​The Foundation could purchase any property and was not subject to governmental oversight.  Here are its NODA Projects.
Dr. Dan L. Morrill
139 Middleton Drive
Charlotte, N.C. 28207
 
[email protected]
 
704-574-3861
 
 
R. J. Reynolds High School - 1956
Wake Forest University - 1960 (B.A.)
Emory University -  1961 (M.A.)
Emory University - 1966  (Ph.D.)
 
Professor Emeritus of History UNCC
Director, Charlotte-Mecklenburg 
                  Historic Landmarks
                  Commission