Streetcar 85

This picture was made in 1996 when Streetcar 85 made its first trip on the tracks in South End.  The Streetcar operated until 2006, when it was removed to make way for the light rail line.  The Streetcar is now leased to the North Carolina Transportation Museum.  The lease is for five years.  It has a reversion clause that it can be brought back to Charlotte if a group demonstrates it has the capactity to operate the car.  Streetcar 85 is the only streetcar remaining from Charlott's fleet.  It went into service in the mid-1920s and operated until 1938.  This was a happy day.  The Commission raised approximately $250,000 to restore the streetcar.  It has been judged eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.  It is a designated historic landmark.
In November 1987, Carl Flick, a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planner, saw the streetcar at the end of David Street in Huntersville.  It was at the end of the street on the left near the street's eastern terminus.  On May 6, 1988, McLeod Trucking and Rigging donated its services for transporting the streetcar to the rear of Discovery Place, where restoration of Streetcar 85 began.
Dr. Dan L. Morrill
139 Middleton Drive
Charlotte, N.C. 28207
[email protected]
R. J. Reynolds High School - 1956
Wake Forest University - 1960 (B.A.)
Emory University -  1961 (M.A.)
Emory University - 1966  (Ph.D.)
Professor Emeritus of History UNCC
Director, Charlotte-Mecklenburg 
                  Historic Landmarks